The saying “like father like son” holds true with the Fernihough name. From TG Fernihough & Sons to Fernihough Homes and Alf Fernihough Builders, Established in 1945 our family owned business continues to deliver outstanding results for our customers!
Our next generation family members - Ross, Tammy, Jacinta and Hoby all work in running the daily operations and are always available to discuss your needs.
“Hi Tammy,We were very pleased with all the work and especially the fact that you could do it so quickly for us.
The gent doing the work was extremely efficient, very pleasant and cleaned up extremely well. Thank you!
Just out of interest are you related to Fernihough builders? I think it was Alf Fernihough who built our first home in the early eighties!
Once again many thanks Kind regards SC Mount Claremont”
Old Onslow Jail
BRICK AND MORTAR RESTORATION FAMILY TRADITION SINCE 1945
In 1995 Fernihough Builders were engaged by The Shire of Ashburton to repair some of the worst damaged walls to the old Gaol (Old Onslow Jail) The most prominent ruins in the old Onslow town site are the stone remains of the Gaol (Old Onslow Jail), the Courthouse, the Police Station and Police Quarters.
A concrete roof that appears to be set into the ground is the roof of an underground water tank once used by the Police.None of the buildings remain intact and have suffered badly from vandalism and exposure to harsh climatic conditions.
The stone walls were constructed from local stone blocks with concrete quoins and tuck-pointing.
None of the large doors or substantial windows remains.
Few trees have survived in the vicinity of the ruins, which are surrounded by scrub. In 1995 Fernihough Builders were engaged by The Shire of Ashburton to repair some of the worst damaged walls to the old Gaol, to stabilise them from further damage until such time as a full restoration can be undertaken. The work was carried out using existing rocks and sands found locally
Restored by Fernihough and sons in 1976 an absolutely beautiful property.
Brick and Mortar Restoration Family Tradition Since 1945
Statement of Significance
This site is representative of the early settlement of the Maylands Peninsula and is one of the oldest surviving residences in the Perth Metropolitan Region. It is significant for its associations with the Hardey family, who were influential to the development of the Maylands Peninsula. This site is highly valued by the local and broader community and contributes greatly to the understanding of the cultural history of Perth.
A group of single storey farm buildings comprising an Old Colonial Georgian farm house style, store and cellar building in a fine landscape setting of mature trees and cottage garden. Tranby House is a single storey farmhouse with a long, low gable running eastwest with a break-pitch verandah all around. It is built in the Old Colonial Georgian style. The verandah is partly open on the south, forms a porch on the east, is closed in along the north and on the west meets a skillion roof from the separate lock of the dry store and cellar building. This block has its own hipped roof and lean-to verandahs. The composition is punctuated by unusual arch-hood chimneys. The house is built of brick walls which are plastered inside and features original hand cut rafters and flooring. It has a simple plan form, with principal rooms accessed off the verandah. Sleeping accommodation is provided in the attics approached by internal staircases. The main roof structure is of timber rafters, purlins and collar-ties, some of which have been re-engineered. Although there are some rafters and purlins that are probably of an early date, it is not clear if they are original or in the original position. The main walls of the house are locally produced orange clay bricks, set in lime mortar, rendered and painted. On the south, the walls have been rendered and ruled. On the east, the walls of the porch are bagged and painted. Restoration works occurred on the house throughout the 70s and 80s, and the feed store and stable were demolished, as they were not considered significant and were in poor condition.
Tranby House is one of the earliest surviving residences in the inner metropolitan area and is closely associated with the earliest phases of rural development along the Swan River. The place has a close association with the Hardey family, farming pioneers who were influential in the religious, business and political life of the Swan River colony, Joseph Hardey in particular. Tranby House is named after the ship that brought these settlers to Western Australia. The first Methodists came to Western Australia in February 1830, aboard the ship Tranby, to found a small religious community in the newly established Swan River Colony. Led by brothers John and Joseph Hardey, the group included a surgeon, preacher, bricklayers, blacksmith, shoemaker, surveyor, hatter, midshipman and several farmers. They were granted, upon arrival, land on a peninsula four miles upstream from Perth, where the present Perth suburb of Maylands is situated. The group were amongst the first European residents of the area and the buildings they constructed some of the first in the colony. Tranby House was established as the residence of Joseph Hardey and his family. There is some doubt as to the actual date of Tranby House, but it appears to have been the third house built by the Hardeys on the site. Initially, the Hardeys established a property and built a wattle and daub house with a thatched roof in 1830. Floods in the area of the house forced them to rebuild and in 1836, the family moved to York for two years where they established another farm. In 1838, Joseph Hardey recorded in his diary that he had purchased bricks and wood for a new house and by June 1839 had recorded that the roof was being finished. It seems likely that this is the current house and, if so, would be one of the oldest brick houses in the State. Tranby House is a rare example of a colonial farm house and the setting of the place is enhanced by the retention of public open space nearby. The trees that survive from the early landscape (oaks, olives, mulberries) also contribute to the understanding of that period of development. Tranby House is the oldest extant residence in the district and is highly valued by the general community as a place of historic and social significance. It contributes to the community's sense of place by providing a link with the colonial development of the area.
Dominican Chapel of St Hyacinth in Yalgoo
A before and after photo of Dominican Chapel of St Hyacinth in Yalgoo.
Fernihough Family Business in 1980 restored this beautiful Building back to its original condition.
35 years after restoration and it is still a credit to the workmanship carried out by our Trades.